My closet needed a detox. It was painful, brutal but also necessary. I have heard people say you should determine your personal style before you try to declutter; but I just went straight for the dive.
Here are some of the steps I followed to get my closet detox off the ground:
- I worked in phases and on different days so the process wasn’t so overwhelming
- I got rid of clothes I had not worn in a year and wasn’t going to wear anytime soon
- I then proceeded to get rid of clothes that I actually hated (don’t ask why I bought them in the first place :D), but used as “filler clothes” for my closet.
- After that was done, I got rid of those that I thought did not fit my current style (not sure what that is yet lol…but will be sure to share once I find it!)
- This was the hardest part for me. I got rid of clothes that I wore often and that I liked a lot (See! I do like some of my clothes!!), but were either not flattering on my figure or were a tad bit too tight (it takes a while to lose all that baby weight…my son is just 16 months). Some of these were actually pieces I bought in the past 6 months. You know when you buy clothes that don’t fit, but hope you would lose 5 pounds in the very near future. That clearly didn’t happen!
This was actually a breeze compared to dealing with my clothes. If I had not worn them in a while or they did not fit my lifestyle needs, then they were chucked. By the time I was done, I ended up with mostly neutrals.
PS: I am thinking of cleaning out my purses and accessories too, so stay tuned! But before I go, here is some more closet inspiration for you…maybe I can motivate you to start the process too!!!